Residency in Spain after Brexit

Now that the UK has left the EU, is it time to apply for Spanish residency? / Markus Spiske on Unsplash
Now that the UK has left the EU, is it time to apply for Spanish residency? / Markus Spiske on Unsplash
20 February 2020, Emma Donaldson

In recent months, there has been a increase in UK citizens in Spain applying for Spanish residency in 2020 in the wake of the long-awaited Brexit. Government offices are said to have backlogs for residency (“residencia”) appointments so if you plan to start the process to become a resident in Spain, it’s best to start the process sooner rather than later now that the UK has officially left the EU.

Residency can be referred to by many different names: the “green card” and the “residency card” to name a few. You must register as a resident in Spain if you intend to stay in the country for more than 3 months and is a must now that Brexit is here. These are the post-Brexit steps you need to follow:

If you already live in Spain and have a NIE (Número de Identidad de Extranjero), you need to replace this little green card or piece of paper with a definitive residence document. This card will be referred to as a TIE (Tarjeta de Identificación de Extranjeros). This card includes a lot more information including the registration date, your name, address, nationality and also your NIE. With all of this, you’ll officially be a certified resident in Spain. Click here for the latest news on new residency documents for expats in Spain.

How to apply for residency in Spain

All you need to do is make an appointment online at your local Oficina de Extranjeros (foreign office). To this appointment, you’ll need to take your NIE (if you already have one), your passport, your padrón (this is the equivalent of a census certificate and can be easily obtained from your local town hall), two passport sized photos and a filled out EX-18 application form. Make sure to also bring photocopies of everything to be on the safe side. Before your appointment, you also need to take your EX-18 form to any bank and pay the corresponding tax which in this case is 21,44 euros.

If you don’t have a NIE, don’t worry! You will be issued with one at the same time as applying for residence in Spain.

Model 790

In some cases, when applying for residency, British citizens may also need to complete a form known as “Modelo 790”. This is a declaration of overseas assets for physical or legal persons resident in Spain who own assets outside of the country with a total value of more than 50,000 euros. Find out more about the Modelo 790 here.

Don't forget to check out more news on how Brexit may affect expats living in Spain.

Ready to find the house of your dreams?

Ready to find the house of your dreams?

Find houses for sale and long term rentals on idealista