The 7 official changes you should make when you move house in Spain

Wikimedia commons
Wikimedia commons
4 October 2018, Redaction

Moving house can be a long and tiring process. Packing up all your things from the old house, transporting them to the new home, cleaning, tidying everything up... and as if that weren’t enough, there are all the formalities to do to update your documentation.

The blog by Bankia reminds us that, for example, after changing address, you have to update your Spanish ID card and change your GP, as well as cancelling all the bills from the old house and registering at the new one. It’s also necessary to inform the bank and the Directorate General of Traffic (the Spanish equivalent of the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) of your current address.

Here is a summary of the seven changes you should make when you move:

  1. Registration: One of the procedures to be carried out is to go to the municipal census office to request and formalise the change of residence, what the Spanish call empadronamiento. Before physically going to the office, you’ll most likely have to book an appointment time online. You can also check out the official website for the region you’re moving to and find out all the documents that you have to provide and fill in the registration form for the new town hall. Each province is self-regulated on this issue, so there’s no central database or website for Spain as a whole.
  2. NIE number Spain and passport: Another of the documents that you’ll have to change is your Foreigner Identity Number (Número de Identidad de Extranjero or NIE), although first you will need the certificate of registration (certificado de empadronamiento). Luckily, changing the address on your NIE is free. It is also advisable to modify your passport data if the new property will be your main residence. You can arrange an appointment on this Spanish-language website.
  3. Health centre and hospital: When you change city or even neighbourhood within the same locality, so will the medical centres you are registered to (both the health centre and hospital). To register at your new local health centre, go online or in person to the nearest Social Security office. You can get more information here.
  4. Driving licence: If you have a Spanish driving licence, it is important that the Directorate General of Traffic (Dirección General de Tráfico or DGT) has your new data so that you can receive communications from them correctly, even though the address doesn’t appear on the licence itself. It’s free of charge to change and only requires a document proving your current address. If your new neighbourhood has parking areas for residents, you can apply for a special card. Remember that in the same city there can be different cards depending on the area. The website to download the application form is in Spanish, although the form itself can also be downloaded in Basque, Catalan, Valencian and Galician.
  5. Tax Office: It is important that the Agencia Tributaria, the Tax Agency, has your current address because that’s where they’ll send notifications to you. If you have moved to another Autonomous Community, the change is even more important, since not all regions are subject to the same tax laws. The website for the Inland Revenue, also called Hacienda, is in English.
  6. Bank: To update your new address, simply go to your local branch.
  7. Bills: When you move house, you have to make sure to cancel payments for the water, electricity and internet from the old flat, as well as set up new energy bills for the new home. If the new property already has these utilities installed, all you have to do is change the name from the previous occupant’s to your own. To do this, just call each different utility company or go on their website.

From the original Spanish article: ¿Te mudas? Estos son los documentos que tienes que actualizar (Bankia)

Ready to find the house of your dreams?

Ready to find the house of your dreams?

Find houses for sale and long term rentals on idealista