Home-seller's checklist

Consult this list if you're considering selling a property in Spain / Gtres
Consult this list if you're considering selling a property in Spain / Gtres
6 February 2020, Larraín Nesbitt Abogados

Congratulations, you have found a buyer for your Spanish property! You should now instruct a lawyer to represent you in the sale, particularly if you are non-resident in Spain.

To secure the deal, your appointed lawyer will require from you a long list of documents you should have ready at hand. These documents will then be forwarded to the buyer, or his legal representative, as they are necessary to prepare a due diligence. Following this, the next step would be to sign the all-important Private Purchase Contract.

The below list is thought only for non-resident sellers acting as physical persons. If the seller is a holding company, there would be additional documents that need to be handed over to a buyer, or his representative.

Selling a property may at times be a daunting prospect for sellers; to save yourself time, stress and aggravation it is most advisable a seller pre-empts this by collating the below list well ahead of time. You're welcome.

  • Fully scanned copy of your purchase Title Deed
  • Scanned copy of a Nota Simple
  • Copies of your national ID, passport and valid NIE Number certificate. A duplicate NIE certificate may be required at times by notaries if your certificate has expired (the assigned number never changes)
  • Copy of recent utility invoices (water & electricity)
  • Copy of IBI tax invoices for the previous 4 years
  • Copy of Refuse Charge (Basura, in Spanish) for the previous 4 years
  • Energy Performance Certificate
  • Licence of First Occupation
  • Community of Owner’s administrator contact details
  • Scanned copies of the minutes of the last three General Assemblies (Junta General Ordinaria, in Spanish)
  • Community of Owner’s Certificate stating the property is not in arrears
  • Spanish fiscal residency certificate (to avoid a 3% retention on the sales proceeds on selling).
  • Copy of Power of Attorney, if instructing a lawyer
  • If renting out, a copy of the signed lease agreement
Ready to find the house of your dreams?

Ready to find the house of your dreams?

Find houses for sale and long term rentals on idealista